April 14, 2021
Trade Policy Fellow to Support Research and assistance partnership between the African Trade Policy Centre (ATPC) of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) and the Overseas Development Institute (ODI).
Objective of the Fellowships
The objective of the fellowships is to provide technical support for the successful implementation of ATPC’s activities, including supporting a number of activities related to assisting member states and RECs in boosting intra-African trade and fast tracking the AfCFTA, as well as in supporting technical trade policy activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general guidance of the Director of the Regional Integration and Trade Division (RITD) of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and the direct supervision of the Coordinator of ATPC, the trade policy fellows shall be required to undertake the following specific tasks;
- Provide research and analysis on trade related issues including through the use of modeling software such as STATA, GTAP Database for CGE modeling, and E-VIEWS.
- Contribute to analytical studies and reports aimed at assessing South-South trade trends on regional integration and trade in Africa
- Contribute to monitoring Boosting Intra-African Trade (BIAT) implementation
- Participate in the planning, organization and servicing of ATPC events
- Provide support to ATPC’s service lines and result areas
- Fulfil and execute additional functions related to ATPC’s work as may be requested by the Director of the Regional Integration and Trade Division and the ATPC Coordinator
- Participate in the organisation and delivery of the activities between ODI and ATPC.
- Contribute to the research activities jointly organised by the ATPC and ODI on African investment policy, e-commerce, climate change and sustainable economic recovery
Qualification and Experience
- Master’s degree in international Trade or related field with at least 3 years’ work experience or Bachelor Degree with at least 5 years’ relevant experience.
- Previous experience in research on international or regional or intra-Africa trade and trade-related issues
- Familiarity with (i) standard econometric/statistical software for trade policy analysis (ii) utilization of various databases on trade and (iii) preparation of documents for publication.
- Ability to work in French is an added advantage
A one-year assignment is envisaged until Mar 2022. Optional renewal
Application process and management
The identification and appointment of the Fellow will be undertaken jointly by the ATPC/ UNECA and ODI, which will agree on the necessary coordination mechanisms.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a CV and a (maximum) 2-page covering letter outlining how your qualifications, skills and experience match those outlined above to Michelle Nourrice firstname.lastname@example.org at ODI.
Please use the email subject line F0277900 ATPC Fellow
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 27th April 2021 .
Interviews will take place within 1-2 weeks of application closing date
Personal Data Disclaimer
ODI will manage this recruitment process but CVs and cover letters will be shared with staff at ATPC/ UNECA as both institutions will be involved in the interview process.